Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Sound of Silence. . . .

I thought the above title is appropropriate since I have gone a month and a half without updating my blog.  I really am still here and all is well.  I've just been so busy that I haven't had time to hardly even read blogs, let alone post. 

The thing that has been keeping me so busy is that I've been working on is preparing my daily journal for publishing.  Every night before I go to bed, I write a journal entry. I've been doing it since 2001, and so I can't stand to go to bed without writing (and that is why I don't blog as often as others might, because I am already doing so much journaling).  My journals have become very precious to me.  Sometimes it is so easy for me to get caught up in the moment, and to wonder why things are sometimes so hard.  But as I read back on things that have happened in the past, I can clearly see the way Heavenly Father has worked in my life, and it helps so much to strengthen my faith that things will work out for me now.  I also have had a digital camera for years, and so haven't developed pictures for a long time.  So I put my favorite pictures in my journal, and then at least have them printed somewhere.  Up until a few years ago, I would print my entry each night after I wrote and put it in a binder.

At some point I got out of the habit of printing my journal every day--mostly because the binders were so big and cumbersome, and I wanted to find a better option.  I haven't printed my journals since 2008, so I decided this year that I would look for a way to have my 2008 amd 2009 journals printed and bound.  Since I spend so much time doing my journals, I wanted to have them really preserved.  I found a great place in Salt Lake that makes beautifully bound books at a really good price.  So, for the last month and a half, I have been editing my journals, putting in more pictures, and making it to the specifications needed for printing.  It has been a huge project, and I have been spending most of my extra time on it (including brining my laptop on the bus, and doing it on the bus).  I also decided to take all of the pictures and blog posts that I've put in my journal in 2009 and make a compilation for Mom for her birthday.  Here are some screen shots of what I've done:










So, after all of this work, I finally got it all done this last weekend.  I had to convert all of my files to pdf so that they could be printed.  For some reason, this process took forever--some of my files took 2-3 hours to convert,  But I figured it was just because I had such large files.  After some really late nights (2:00 in the morning, etc), I finally finished them yesterday.  I don't know why I've felt so driven to get this done, but I have.  Well, yesterday afternoon when I took my files in to be printed, it turned out that there is something wrong with all of the pdf's that I made.  Even though I converted them the correct way, they are much bigger than they should be, and yet the picture quality is really low.  Because they are so big, they won't work for him to print.  I worked with the guy for an hour to see what the problem might be, but we could not figure it out. 

So, needless to say, I am pretty disappointed.  But I decided yesterday evening that I could either choose to be really upset about all of the wasted time I spent getting it ready to print, or I could choose to have a good attitude about it.  I am still very anxious to get these printed, but I am taking a step back and searching for options to see why it is not converting correctly from Word.  I know I'll find some way to work this out.  I loved the samples the guy had at the printing place, and so I know these books will be really nice once I finally have them done.  I'll make sure to post pictures of the finished books once I finally figure out what the problem is and am able to get them bound. 

To summarize, this morning I happened to read a scripture that seemed to really fit my situation (and other situations where I might be discouraged because things aren't working out the way I had planned):  I'll end my post with it:

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  (Galatians 6:9)

5 comments:

Lori said...

Wow- what an amazing project you are working on! How great! I am sorry i can't help you with your Word pdf conversions. I can create pdfs really easy in adobe indesign. And i know about that.

What a huge treasure for your future-husband kid family and existing family.

Way to go! It will work out. is there someone in your family or ward that knows how to convert the files correctly? there's got to be a way.

ems said...

So sorry about the disappointment. It's hard to work on something so long only to not have it work out. It reminds me of that year I stayed up all night working on the Christmas vid and it didn't work at all. That was a bummer. I am sure you will find a way and you will be so glad that you persevered. Good luck!

nora.lakehurst said...

Sorry about the disappointment. I hope you got my email and that things will work out better.

Preds Girl said...

Man, that is such a bummer! So sorry all that hard work and time spent was a big let down.

I'm excited for you to get the finished book. I'm sure you'll find the solution and the book will be incredible!

You are such a good example!!!

Corilee said...

Have you considered taking it to BYU's printing place? Maybe they can find out what the problem is. I could be that this is like going to a doctor when you have a serious illness. It always helps to get a second opinion.

I am so glad that I get a copy of the pictures and comments you wrote. I loved reading your journal pages.

I'm sure there is a reason for this happening. Maybe it's just to teach you patience. I'm glad you are choosing to have a good attitude about it.

Lubs, Mither